Monday, April 30, 2007

Open Mic's I've Played Pt 1

When I started playing out live a few years ago, I didn't know where to start. Initially I was playing with some guys from work: just an excuse to drink some beers and blow off a little steam once a week. But at some point, when my chops started to come back and I started to accumulate a fair number of newly minted originals, the idea of performing began to interest me. I had given up playing years ago when I decided that I had put enough of my life on hold in what was essentially a failed effort to become successful as a musical artist. Since then I've realized how important all facets of music have become to me, with performing right up there with writing and recording.

My first open mic was at Jammin' Java in Vienna, VA. They run an open mic every Monday. The guy running it currently is David Cotton, a sweetheart of a guy. He's extremely supportive because he realizes what it's like to be up there. Unlike other open mic's David is actually getting paid for his efforts, so he's not really motivated to hog the spotlight, unlike a lot other open mic's who shall remain nameless here. (Just trying to keep it all positive!) You get two songs or 8 minutes to play and the crowd is usually pretty nice and well behaved. For the most part they are there to either perform or to listen. Unfortunately, after playing there off and on for the last 4 years, I've yet to get anything else going there other than the open mic thing. I've gone over well, played with a backing band once as a feature artist and brought plenty of folks into the place, but after all this time, it's still just two songs and see you later. I'd like to have a chance to open (even as the bottom of a three or four act bill), but that's not what the Brindley Brothers are all about. The best bet for getting a gig there is to just rent the place! Even though I don't play there much anymore, I'd still recommend it for first timers.